Print View

Return to Normal View

Veterans Education Benefits

The Veterans Office serves as the coordinator of Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits for Saddleback College students who are eligible to receive these benefits. This coordination includes providing information to eligible students, maintaining files on each student receiving VA Benefits and certifying these students’ college course work for payment by VA.

What Am I Eligible For?  

To be eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits, you must fall into one of the following categories or “Chapters”. 


Chapter 33, 30, 1607, 1606 and 35

Chapter 31

  1. How Do I Get Started?

    Apply for Admission
    Mark Veteran on your application
    Collect your DD 214, Military ID or Order Papers.
    Have all official transcripts sent to Saddleback College from any schools attended
  2. Complete Matriculation
    a. Assessment
    b. Online Orientation
    c. Advisement
  3. Make an appointment with a VETS Counselor to complete your Student Educational Plan (SEP)
  4. Get you benefits
    a. Review
    b. Visit the VA Educational Benefits Veterans Office website
  5. Learn about available Financial Aid
  6. Pick your classes
    a. Enroll in your classes using MySite
    b. Pay fees & purchase parking permit
  7. Get your textbooks: Buy, Rent or Borrow and 
  8. Get familiar with the different Veterans Resources available at  Saddleback

Complete the “matriculation” (Math and English placement testing) process.

Military Tuition Assistance Program

Eligibility:  All active-duty military personnel are eligible to receive MTA.

What MTA pays for:  It pays the enrollment fees for classes; students are responsible for payment of all other fees.

How to receive MTA:   Students must bring in a completed tuition assistance form to the college Veterans Office in the Administration and Governance Building (AGB). These forms are available at the base education office.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Why does my student account show money owed even though I turned in a MTA form? The military pays only after the semester is over, and the military has been notified that the student passed the course. When an MTA form is turned in, the college Veterans Office will defer (postpone) the payment deadline for the enrollment fees until payment is received from the military. The college normally receives payment 3-4 months after the end of the semester.
  • If I fail a class, will MTA still pay for that class? No, students must pass each class, or the military will not pay for the class.
  • Who do I contact if I have questions about MTA? Call the college Veterans Office at (949)582-4871.

Priority Registration for Veterans

  • To be eligible for a priority registration appointment, please submit a copy of your DD-214 or Military ID to the Admissions & Records office.
  • After providing Admissions & Records with a copy of your DD214 or Military Active Duty ID Card, check My Site to confirm you have a priority registration date. 
  • Please note that effective Fall 2014 Admission and Records will implement changes to the priority registration process and there will be restrictions in some student’s cases. Please contact Admission and Records directly for clarification in this process and/or visit Admission and Records webpage.