Print View

Return to Normal View

Conferences and Travel

Employee Travel

Employees are allowed to participate in off-campus conferences, meetings and similar activities that relates to district or college business. Conference attendance and travel expenses must be approved prior to the trip.

Spend Authorization

Approval to attend conferences and to pay for travel related expenses is obtained through a Spend Authorization in Workday. The procedures for creating spend authorizations and reimbursements are discussed in Chapter 3 of the Expenses Course Manual. All expenses related to travel can be claimed by completing an expense report. Claims must be submitted within 60 days after travel has occurred, but not later than June 15 of each fiscal year.  Exceptions must be requested in writing noting the justification. 

Reimbursement Claim for Travel

1.  Transportation other than car, i.e., airline, train, bus

  • Must be reimbursed for the most economical mode of transportation.
  • Reimbursement for travel by private vehicle must not exceed the cost of an airline ticket plus related transportation expenses. Documentation should be provided from airline website showing cost of airline ticket if traveler chose to drive instead of fly.
  • No reimbursement for early bird check-in fees or preferred seating arrangements.

2.   Automobile Mileage

  • Mileage shall be calculated as the distance from the employee’s regular work location to the off-campus business destination and back.
  • Mileage rate is based on prevailing IRS standard rate, and may change every calendar year.

3.   Lodging

  • Must submit receipt of itemized lodging cost at single occupancy rate.  A copy of a credit card statement showing payment made to hotel is not sufficient if it does not show itemized charges.

4.  Registration Fees

  • Must provide documents supporting the cost of registration fee.

5.  Meal Allowance

  • Must provide agenda or schedule of events.
  • Allowances shall not exceed $55 per day (Breakfast $12; Lunch $16; Dinner $27). No receipts are required.
  • Reimbursement provided for reasonable and customary periods.
  • No reimbursement for meals provided in the cost of the conference whether eaten or not.

6.   Miscellaneous Receipts

  • Must provide original, paid receipts for taxi cabs, shuttles, parking, toll fees, internet access and business center expenses, if incurred in conducting district/college business.
  • No reimbursement will be made for alcoholic beverages under any circumstances.
  • Individual membership dues are not reimbursable unless required in the cost of the conference registration.
  • Normal miscellaneous expenses under $10 do not require receipts.

 Prepayment and Travel Advance

Employees requesting prepayments must complete a spend authorization for prepaid expenses at least 15 days prior to payment. Prepayment will be allowed for travel, lodging and registration fees, to be paid directly to the vendor.

In lieu of prepaid travel expenses, employees may request an advance for registration, hotel, airfare, and transportation expenses by completing a spend authorization, and checking the cash advance box. The request must be completed at least 15 days before travel occurs. An Expense Report with all the required receipts must be submitted after travel or funds will be owed back to District.


Mileage shall be reimbursed to employees for using personal vehicles for work-related reasons like attending off-campus meetings or running errands for college business. Employees who receive mileage allowance cannot claim mileage for travel within Orange County. Mileage shall be calculated as the distance from employee’s regular work location to the off-campus business destination and back.  Rate is based on prevailing IRS standard rate.   Mileage claims are to be submitted monthly by completing an expense report at the end of each month.

Board Policy No. 3605  covers regulations employee travel.